Saturday, March 5, 2011

Acting My Age!

 I know it's been awhile. Sorry for the reprieve. Here we go...

Soundtrack Selection: Young at Heart by Frank Sinatra

As I get a little older, I realize that age is a double-edged sword. We live in a culture that embraces age as a defining factor of your role in the world. So many people sum it up by saying, "Younger is better." Looking younger, appearing younger is often deemed the preferential state of being in this age-obsessed culture. But as I move through life, I recognize it's not always that simple and that sometimes when it comes to age, you've gotta play games. And just as I do with dating, I find "playing games" particularly annoying.

I have a career, albeit young, but a career all the same. I'm good at it, passionate about it and wake up every morning excited to go to work. Mine is a little unique in that I am constantly surrounded by people twice and often three times my age.  Now what this translates to is that most of my colleagues, clients and community members take one look at me and think of their own children, sometimes even grandchildren. I may be capable of holding down a job and maybe doing it well but not old enough to REALLY be taken seriously. Having gone through the same challenges I face now, my boss told me not too long ago, "Women have one decade in which people take you seriously as a leader in your career, 40-50. Any other time, you're either too young or too old."

Then there's dating...I mean talk about double-edged swords. If you date younger men, they make all kinds of assumptions that you are in a hurry to get hitched and crank out babies. If you date older men, well they probably think the former too but then you also run the risk that they won't take you seriously (living in your group house with non-matching appliances and bad carpet). Honestly, what's a girl to do?

Well, I know what this girl is doing...screw age! I'm talented, smart, energetic and have tons more experience than a lot of people--young or old, so I'm going for that promotion and you better take me seriously. And as for the boys--whatever your age, I'm a whole lot more emotionally mature and self-aware than you will ever be, so save your unexamined, patriarchal stereotypes for some naive chick who believes them (although if you're buying the drinks, then yes, I'll go out with you)!

So tonight, I'm headed out the door in my cutest outfit to dance the night away with my pals. Tomorrow, I will wake to spend the day preparing for my presentation at the most important board meeting of the year...and I'm perfectly fine with both!

No comments:

Post a Comment