Tuesday, January 4, 2011

This is Our Year!

Soundtrack Selection: New Year's Prayer by Jeff Buckley

Someone asked me recently, which has been the favorite year of my life. At first I couldn't answer it, I mean I've had some pretty good ones--1986: Got my ears pierced for the first time...big deal; 1990: First boy/girl birthday party (albeit in my garage because my 'rents were afraid to let 20-11 year-old kids in their house...good call Mom and Dad); 1997: Freshman year at JMU...met some of the best friends of my life; 2004: Totally in love and living in NYC (and first vodka lemonade at Lisa's). They were all fantastic in their own way. But so far I think 2010 takes the cake. Why? Because I finally found Katie Mac...for the first time...completely...for real (totally awesome)!

So I've already made a few mistakes this year (we won't go into it). It's ok, they weren't major. But I said aloud, and so did my mom: "I think this is my/your year." And I have a sneaking suspicion that we're right. Now, I have no idea what that means: my year to get arrested, my year to get pregnant out of wedlock, my year to insult my best friend?...naaaa...In keeping with my general upbeat sense of looking on the bright side of things, I think it's my year to do something or find something grand.

Now I could easily think that "My Year" means it's the year I will get an amazing promotion at work; find the love of my life; travel to an exciting and exotic location; eradicate my saddle bags (sorry...I'm not sure that'll ever happen); or fall into a million bucks.  While all of these things would be great, they're not the kind of things that would, alone, really leave me feeling they were worthy of "My Year."

Because when I think back on the last year, it wasn't the obviously fun achievements that made it my favorite (running my first 5K, driving cross-country for the first time, fitting into a pair of size six jeans), but it was the quiet, uneventful moments like one I remember distinctly: sitting on my porch on a warm, fall night and feeling totally content with my life...and with me.

It doesn't mean I don't have a lot to learn and a long way to go/grow. But it does mean that no matter how many plans I make, how many resolutions I set...the moments that will make this year "My Year" will be moments I never plan for!

So I raise my proverbial glass of champagne to 2011 in hopes that it will, in fact, be my year...your year..our year!

Happy "Our" Year!

3 comments:

  1. Life is such an adventure. You never know what is going to happen to you. Just understanding who you are and being content with it makes the ride easier. When I look back on 61 years, each had ups and downs, but they were all good because I lived them. Here's to life no matter what comes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you, KT! I feel it, too. This is totally going to be our year. :) Hope we get to experience more of it together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2010 WAS your year, girl. Don't ever forget it! (Although the first batch of vodka lemonades in 2004 were a lifetime highlight).

    XO

    L.

    ReplyDelete