Monday, October 18, 2010

You've Gotta Have A Goal!

Soundtrack Selection: Running on Empty by Jackson Browne

Kit DeLuca got it right at the end of Pretty Woman when she says to her new roommate, Angel, "Ya gotta have a goal? Do you have goal?" And if you and I were standing on Hollywood Boulevard in 1990, Kit would probably ask us the same question.

During my first year out of college, I sat at a bar in Fells Point with my two bosses, Dan and Mary, and explained my crisis of identity. For 22 years of my life, everything was focused on graduating from college. Now that I had completed that task and was planted pretty firmly in my first job, what the hell was I supposed to focus on now? Mary and Dan explained to me how important it was to identify some tangible goals that I could reach in the next year. For example, Mary's was improving her tennis game (I don't remember Dan's now, but I'm pretty sure it had something to do with red wine).

Once I got settled in singledom again, I found myself reconnecting to my 22-year-old self. I finished grad school, settled into a job I loved but I was having a hard time recreating goals for myself. So I returned to that conversation at the bar with my mentors and decided to set a goal.

During my first year in DC, I watched my incredibly disciplined and athletic roommate, Lauren, train for a marathon. Week after week, rain, sleet or snow, Lauren would exit the house outfitted in her running gear and complete her training runs. Linsday, my other equally athletic roommate, greeted me many mornings at the coffee machine, drenched in sweat and perky as always, after running upwards of six miles (I, on the other hand, was still in my bath robe and my only day's accomplishments were inhaling a bagel and blowing my nose...I have morning allergies). 

At this point, I was not a runner. I hated running. But things change...plans change...and I had changed. Inspired by these two talented, beautiful women, I said, "Well, f-you old Katie, I'm gonna run." Since then, I've run a couple of races, crawled around in some mud and tightened my tush in the process. No, it wasn't always glamorous. There were many days of walking blocks and heavy huffing and puffing (and then there was the speeding up and trying to hide the fact that I felt like I was going to have a heart attack when a cute guy approached), but I did it, and I'm a better girl for it!

No, you don't have to become an Olympic athlete. That's not the point. The point is: you need to have a goal, just like Kit says. Maybe you want to learn a new language, become a tango dancer, memorize the Periodic Table of Elements. It doesn't matter what it is, find out what makes you tick, what will light a fire under your heiny and do it. If my sister-in-law can run her own photag business while working full time as an attorney and raising two kids under three, you can find a hobby.

And I promise, it won't make you selfish or self-centered. It WILL make you a better friend, a better mother (one day), a better wife/partner, but most importantly, a better you!

(And then maybe Richard Gere will climb up your fire escape, ask you to marry him and you'll live happily ever after...but I doubt it).

4 comments:

  1. Good advice. But do I have to become a prostitute?

    ReplyDelete
  2. katie! i love reading this!! you are my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katie, it was cool to read about Mary and Dan :)) I did not know you were so analytical :) The post got my attention, because it reminds me a lot. However, today I do not think you need to live goal-to-goal life in order to enjoy it fully :) I think it more less has to do with personality temper. Choleric people are focused on goals and they pretty much function as you described - always have to have a goal and get there. Phlegmatic people like to relax, calm and enjoy the path more then the destination (nice example Almodovar - Santiago de Compostela).  Melancholic are creative but also enjoy purity. Sanguine just like to talk and make friends who are most important to them.
    So I think the goal-recipe you outlined might work for some people but not for all. Like for Mary she has setting goals in her blood, for phlegmatic people it might be a real energy drainer, I think. I mean yes, choleric people are going to get done so much more then the rest of us, but once you are done here on Earth, who knows by what measures are you going to be evaluated. I agree that it is good to have a hobby thought, but a choleric enjoys it for getting the painting done, melancholic for being artistic, sanguine enjoys it to meet cool people in the group and phlegmatic for the relax it gives :)
    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie,

    I've known you since the third grade and you've always set your goals high. I applaud you on being true to yourself and re-discovering yourself.

    May I suggest you take a road trip to visit me in Austin, Texas? There are tons of good looking, nice cowboys down here and I can't handle them all :-)

    Love,
    Debbie :-)

    ReplyDelete